Monday 20 April 2015

It's All in Your Genes!

For many years I've had an absolute passion for Family History and often get lost in the pages of Ancestry.com as I'm extending branches and adding leaves to my tree. To me, family is so much more than just those we were born to and raised alongside.  To me it is all of those who share ancestors and the further you go back, the more people that entails.  I met one of my cousins - who went on to become one of my closest friends - via ancestry.com a few years back and last year we got to spend a couple of weeks together in the USA and she IS my family even though we are fifth cousins - there is a connection that is stronger than merely friendship, it's a kinship if you will - a shared history - we share blood and DNA from our forebears and that unites us.

In my quest to collect a few more cousins, I decided to take the next step that any Genealogy Junkie may embark on and that is to get my DNA sample assessed.  I sent off for a kit to 23andme and waited eagerly for the delivery.  It was a simple test that collected a vial of my spit and then after posting it back - an agonising four week wait (which I am NOT good at) - to have the first of my results published on my account.  When you join 23andme there are lots of questionnaires and surveys which help them to gather information to do with health complaints and genetics - it's just incredible.

So far, in the space of just a few weeks, I've connected with a number of cousins across the world. Many of them have very little connection to their biological families as they were adopted.  I enjoy helping them to try and find a little more information about their family of birth, even if that is many generations back.  I'm just so very grateful that my Aunt and other cousins had paved the way for me to take our tree to the next level and end up with almost 5000 ancestors on it - it's proving to be very helpful in matching me with DNA cousins.

The ancestral connections is what first drew me to order that kit from 23andme but it's actually proved to be incredibly beneficial in ways I wasn't yet aware of.  The raw genetic data is available for you to download and there are so many incredible sites and applications across the web that have helped me to understand my rather complex health conditions.  The first thing I did was upload my raw data to promethease.com so that I could search for a number of genetic mutations as I knew that a couple of my illnesses were linked to particular mutations and wanted to see for myself.  Yep, I had those mutations which I found fascinating.  I played around on this site for a couple of days - fascinated at what my DNA could tell me - from my raw data someone could give a basic description of my physical appearance; blonde, skin that tans and doesn't freckle, light blue eyes, taller than average and a propensity to be overweight :D  I found the forums on 23andme to be pretty useful too and that led me to find livewello.com which for a small fee (don't remember but cheaper than a visit to the GP who rarely offers any insight) I was able to upload my raw data and run it through their protocols which checks for particular diseases and pulls up a list of your mutations and a little explanation of it all.  There are also a number of pre-written variance reports for particular diseases that you can run data through and it will bring up any polymorphisms and show whether you are heterozygous or homozygous to any of the markers.  I've had a lot of confirmation from this site - stuff I've known and other stuff I've suspected - now to tell my Doctors :D

Sometime during all this I was contacted by a cousin from the USA and through chatting discovered that we share a lot of these weird health disorders and she was able to direct me to nutrahacker.com which has probably been the most beneficial.  I ordered two reports which cost me $US50 and well worth it.  Once again, you upload your raw data, the program does it's magic and in a few short minutes you get a whole lot of information.  This one offers a list of genetic diseases that you are checked against to see if you're homozygous (likely to have or develop this disease) or heterozygous (a carrier) and I found out I'm a carrier of hemochromatosis.  So, now it's time to check the kids DNA to make sure none of them are homozygous.  My parents and sister have all sent their DNA tests off which will also narrow down where I've inherited that gene from so that I can alert the rest of the family on whichever side it comes from.  I also got a toxicology report from Nutrahacker which told me which foods and supplements I should avoid (which contained a number of things I'd worked out I should avoid anyhow - and a lot more) and also a list of things that I should include in my diet and supplementary needs.  I am so glad I found this website!

But back to the main reason I first sent off for that DNA kit - ancestry...  I was linked by another of my new cousins to Gedmatch.com where you - yep, you guessed it - upload your raw data.  But wait, there's more!  You also upload your gedcom!  For those of you unversed in genealogy speak - that's your downloaded family tree.  A gedcom is a universal file type so no matter where you store it you should be able to download and upload it all over the place...  Gedmatch then matches you both genetically and via your gedcom AND they have all sorts of fun stuff as well, such as the opportunity to run your DNA against Ancient Human Remains DNA - and I'm related to some woman who lived in Hungary 5, 300 years ago as well as some from Sweden, Germany, Russia and the UK :)  I also have 3% neanderthal DNA - go figure! There's a little thing where you run your DNA through an eye-colour match thing and it showed an image so similar to my eye it was scary!

All in all, I kind of feel like I'm being sucked into a rabbit hole - but that's ok as I have a 'warrior' gene apparently so will be ably equipped to fight off any half-crazed cousins or the like.  I have an addictive nature (yep, shows in my chart) along with a propensity to ASD and that in itself makes me a person who becomes rather fixated on something. I also got two copies of the intelligence gene, but I've probably already told you that ;)

Anyhow, enough blogging - I have charts to upload and new cousins to discover!

7 comments:

  1. Awesome article! Thank you for helping spread the word about this necessary and overdue movement to wellness.
    What we are trying to do at Livewello is democratize the average person's access to their Genetic information so that, they too can leverage their chances of a higher quality of life.

    Right now, when a user uploads their 23andMe or AncestryDNA Genetic raw data into Livewello, it will give you your Gene report for 600,000 SNPs and attaches 12 resources for learning to each Gene.

    The App even offers free updates that reflect your results when 23andMe adds more SNPs to your raw data OR when new research is released about a Gene that affects you. The reason for these features, is that we believe that people should have information for all the Genes in their Raw Data not just some of them. That way, a user and their Healthcare Practitioner can have the benefit of all this information when creating a treatment or lifestyle plan.

    We also encourage users to arm themselves with vital information that they should share with their Doctors. In order to facilitate this, Livewello is the only Genetics Application that comes with these free tools to benefit that:

    ~A Gene library with unlimited access to hundreds of free Gene Reports: https://livewello.com/snps/library ,

    ~A Health Conditions tool that allows users generate Gene Reports based on their Diagnosis or health issues: https://livewello.com/gwas

    ~A Sandbox Tool for creating Customized Gene Reports: https://livewello.com/snps/sandbox and

    ~ A Data Tool for tracking your lab test results: https://livewello.com/data-apps

    ~ A Lifestyle Data Tool to discuss with your Dr and guide you in any changes you decide: https://livewello.com/data-apps/review_app?name=lifestyle-data-app

    We hope that all these features in the App will partner with a person throughout their journey to wellness, not just the moment their results arrive.

    We also hope to remain agile in this space so that we can continue to serve users with their needs in this dynamic field. Please reach out to us at https://livewello.com/support with any requests you and your readers may have:

    What to do after you receive your Gene Results:
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/livewello/what-to-do-after-you-receive-your-gene-report/1055175377843626


    What does the Livewello Gene App do?
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/livewello/what-does-the-livewello-gene-app-do/1069033519791145

    How does an App help with your Genetic Raw Data Results?
    https://docs.google.com/a/livewello.com/document/d/1FkQ5bZFPvwP_U2h3ufFiUTH3m6NwYgSwxWlS9ExhBuU/edit#

    Sample Health Reports. Just search and install as many as you like: https://livewello.com/snps/library?author=ag9zfmxpdmV3ZWxsby1hcHByEwsSCldlYkFjY291bnQYkMTZAQw

    How to compare Gene Reports side-by-side with friends and family:
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/livewello/how-to-compare-gene-reports-side-by-side/1055190757842088

    Matching Genes and Vitamins. A Personalized Plan May Be in Your Future
    http://newsinhealth.nih.gov/2008/August/feature2.htm

    Livewello's Facebook Page: https://Facebook.com/Livewello

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! I never realised tracing a family tree was so intense. I have toyed with the idea for a few years now and still have not made a start on it. When I do I know where to come for some pointers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opps think my comment disappeared :(.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trying again. That was fascinating Jo. I want to do it too now. I do actually also want to do some basic family research. Might have to get you to point me in the right direction. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weirdly, I never got notification of any comments and here it is almost 18 months later and I find them! I'm happy to help if you ever need a hand! :)

      Delete
    2. Weirdly, I never got notification of any comments and here it is almost 18 months later and I find them! I'm happy to help if you ever need a hand! :)

      Delete